Thursday, November 17, 2011

11.17.11

4. I've watched This is It three times this weekend. Three! It's been on TV twice and I watched it once in between. Nothing makes me happier than an MJ song. Nothing.

 "But I could have told you Vincent, this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you." -Vincent

I firmly believe in the validity of this statement. In case you've never heard it, this song by Don McLean was written and inspired by Van Goh. He talks about the genuis of his art, the scrutiny he lived under, the pressure put on him, and his own suicide. This line from the song has always fascinated me. I am a shades of gray person. I seem to always see everything a little bit differently. And apparently so does Don McLean.
   I think Michael Jackson was one of those people that was just too beautiful for this world. From the age of five, his entire life was about pleasing others.  He was a little boy living a working adult's life. Valued for what he could produce, not who he truly was. We have seen the effects of this lifestyle on many so called child stars. Brooke Shields, Elizabeth Taylor, Macully Culkin. All who were very close friends of Michael's. Despite his family's motives, a child is meant to play with dolls and go to school. Get good grades and do their chores. Not go to a recording studio, lay down a few tracks, fly accross the country to promote an album, fly back, and go to bed.  Even though my ability to truly be an adolescent was cut short, I had an amazingly blessed childhood just by the simple fact that I got to have one. And for that I am truly grateful.
   Michael's lifestyle was unorthodox to say the least. His life was plagued with scandal. From reports of sleeping in an oxygen chamber, bleaching his skin, plastic surgery, failed romances.  You have to wonder how one person could deal with such scrutiny. So many vile words spoken against you can alter your entire psyche in a profound way. Enter shades of gray.
   I have chosen to see him for who I believe he really was. An artist. Just like Van Goh. It always seems that those among us blessed with the ability to change the world are the ones whose lives are cut tragically short. Martin Luther King Jr. John Lennon. John F. Kennedy. Every one of these people changed the world in a profound way, brought something different to the table. Maybe in 1960's America, we weren't ready for these types of change. But, I would hope that in today's time, we would be open minded enough to accept the message Michael tried to evince. I think the tragedy of Michael's life was that people didn't appreciate him until after he was gone. Yes, he has the best selling record of all time. Yes, he sold over 140 million albums. Yes, he won award after award. These accomplishments don't even touch on the amazing impact his music and message has had on this world. Not concrete, but abstract. My favorite MJ song, behind Human Nature, is Heal the World. It is not his most well known song, but I have to believe that the person who wrote these beautiful lyrics had something to share with the world. You have the choice to believe what you want about him. You can listen to the tabloids, or you can listen to this song. Listen to the words and take them to heart. Maybe, just maybe, you can heed his advice and make a little room to make the world a better place. It starts with you. Choose to see the shades of gray. Honor his memory and open your mind. You may be surprised by what you have the capacity to understand.






"Children show me in their playful smiles the divine in everyone. This simple goodness shines straight from their hearts and only asks to be lived." -Michael Jackson

With Love,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment